Thursday, September 8, 2011

Galapagos above the water edition



Wadup party people!!! Back from a brief hiatus of weddings and adjusting to adult life. For those of ya'll uninformed folk, I landed a job working in East Bay as a Staff Engineer designing methane gas capture systems. The commute is brutal totaling 2 to 3 hours a day depending on traffic. Trying to move out of my newly engaged sisters place, so I'm still slangin pizza on the side and house sitting when I get a chance... and hey if your dog needs a walk lemme know.

Anyways so where I last left, I was leaving Machu Pichu headed to the Peruvian Coast. Made a pit stop in Mancora, where I proceeded to party and surf my little heart out. Other than a ton of tourist junk these are the only photos I have...

Okay so i just stole this one from google, but i literally had no pictures of the beach.

Ultra-JENGA! With the Argentian Barkeep... who say's work can't be fun.

Typical meal. Papas fritas with everything...
Knockoff BK streetfood.

peekin...


And that's it. A week in Mancora. Bussed up to Guayaquil hopped on the plane to capstone of my trip the Galapagos. Everyone always talked about how expensive the Galapagos was and I had talk with plenty of people about saying how that wasn't the case... Well it definitely was, one week in the Galapagos cost me about the same as a month in Chile.

Was it worth it? You betcha.
The budget tour of the islands...

File:Galapagos-satellite-esislandnames.jpg

There's 18 main islands of Galapagos, I think 3 actually have a town on them. How one usually sees most of the islands is by charter cruise. You hop on a 5, 7, or 9 day cruise and basically island hop, stopping and exploring at each biologically and geologically diverse island. Short on money and time, I skipped the cruise and only made it to 3.

Right off the plane I took a water taxi from Baltra to Santa Cruz, and found a run down budget hotel bartered the price to a still steep $20 a night and found the nearest tour guide and set off.


Blue footed boobies... Clumsy little guys. look at those feet!




Amazing dinosaur looking iguanas, and they were evvvvvverywhere.

Can you spot em?

ahh yes just soakin in some sun.

Common thing, animals resting, relaxing.

This little entrapment caused by volcanic activity created a fresh/saltwater mixture causing that brilliant blue color. Bonus factoid! Fish aren't big enough to get through the cracks and into this inclosure, but their fish eggs can, little baby fish everywhere. Oh and of course I jumped off.


Wasn't lucky enough to catch this bird swell up on camera, but google did! (plus i think it's a female)

Fisherman's friends... Check out the fishermonger's pet


Everrrrywhere

Because of an intrusive european rat population that eats tortoise eggs and in turn threaten there existence, they are raised in hatcherys

Always so cranky

Lonesome George. The last Giant Galapagos Tortoise alive. Apparently the staff at the hatchery has tried everything to get him to mate, bringing out a bunch of tortoise honeys, even bringing a milking specialist... George was having none of it.

Doing there part!

Like a champ eh!?


don't mind the greasy kid...

WHALE WARS!!! I found there headquarters Japan.

Penguinos. You'd be snorkeling around and one would shoot by you like a torpedo.

Los Tuneles, supposed to be one of the best places to snorkel... Tide wasn't right, was a complete bust. Amazing geological formations, hundereds of those structures.


working for that food.

The itis.


One day i'll own one of these.




Caipirinha aka hangover central. Basically rum and sugar and lime.

Street food

A friend waiting for me in my room.

When you don't know what it is... and you're hungry you'll eat it. I think it was potato and tripe(stomach) soup

Fun on the water taxi.

Not so much fun on the water taxi... he was assed out and just gettin pissed on by the waves

80's on the water taxi

WELLLL that's it that's all the Galapagos above water I got. Sorry about the ADD lack of a story here, with 500+ pictures it's tough to make something cohesive. Anyways it truely was an amazing place, one day when I'm little heavier in the pocketbook i'll go back and take one of those cruises, and come prepared and know the animals names, until then I'll dream about the zoo with no cages that is the Galapagos.

Next up is my diving adventures at Galapagos. I spent two days doing SCUBA and have some amazing photos, and videos i'm trying to patch together.

Cheers, Be well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous Brandon...we haven't decided yet if we'll spend the money on the Galapagos or not, time will tell. I'd be curious to know how much a Galapagos excursion totals up to?...if you don't mind of course

    ReplyDelete